[vortex] Tyan Thunder K7 S2462 Dual 3c59x

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Jan 15 14:11:01 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Martin Siegert wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 09:24:09PM -0700, Maurice Hilarius wrote:

> > >00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c982 Dual Port Server Cyclone
> > >(rev 78)
> > >         Subsystem: Tyan Computer: Unknown device 2462
> > >00:10.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation: Unknown device 9807 (rev 78)
> > >         Subsystem: Tyan Computer: Unknown device 6301
> > >The first device (ID 9805) installs just fine. The second (ID 9807) refuses
> > >to be recognized.

Hmmm, perhaps I made an incorrect assumption.
I was guessing that the first was a PCI plug-in card, while the only the
second was on the motherboard.

Are both of these on the motherboard?  Both use a Tyan subsystem ID.

If both are on the motherboard, they should both have the same PCI ID.

Note the "982" ID first showed up on a dual port card.  I assumed that
it meant "980" with "2" ports.  There have been reports that "982" has
been used with single port server boards as well.

The problem vortex-diag has with reading the EEPROM is likely that the
board design is missing a bias resistor that allow the driver to figure
out the serial EEPROM address size, 6 or 8 bits.  If it's on a
Tyan-designed motherboard, it's very likely that Tyan skipped that
section on the hardware design guide because they didn't understand why
the resistor was needed.