Fwd: Re: [vortex] 3c90x on kernel-2.4.3-12

CURTIS SMITH csmith@asunet.alasu.edu
Sun Jan 6 00:04:01 2002

--=_3B663D82.EC8DE438

Curtis D. Smith
Network Administrator
Alabma State University
Phone: 334-229-4449=20
Fax: 334-229-4170
--=_3B663D82.EC8DE438

Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 22:50:33 -0600
From: "CURTIS SMITH" <csmith@asunet.alasu.edu>
To: "CURTIS SMITH" <CSMITH@asunet.alasu.edu>
Subject: Re: [vortex] 3c90x on kernel-2.4.3-12

I installed linux 7.1 kernel-2.4.2.  I applied kernel-2.4.3-12 rpm, and  =
2.4.3-12 kernel source rpm , and  kernel-headers-2.4.3-12.i386.rpm to get =
to 2.4.3-12.  After installing the kernel-headers the unresolved symbol =
errors went away.

Curtis D. Smith
Network Administrator
Alabma State University
Phone: 334-229-4449=20
Fax: 334-229-4170
>>> CURTIS SMITH 01/05/02 14:44 PM >>>
I am running RH 2.4.3-12.  I am using driver source code  3c90x-102.tar.gz.=
  I am using Novell Zenworks for Desktops  3.2 as a workstaion imaging and =
deployment solution.  The ZfD 3.2  linux-based imaging engine uses kernel =
2.4.3.  I  have 200 Dell Optiplex GX-400 (pentium4 256MB ram 20 GB IDE hdd =
3c920 integrated NIC).   All workstaions are on Cisco 4000 switches set to =
auto negotiate port speed and duplex. The workstations can not obtain a =
dhcp address.  Sniffer traces show that dhcpdiscover packets are never =
being sent.   At the worstation lsmod shows  that 3c590 is being loaded by =
the linux imaging engine.   I have tried different autonegotiation =
settings  on the siwitch (did not duplicate setting changes on the NIC - =
mistake)still no dhcp address.  When the imaging engine is finished (I  =
manually assign an ip address to start the process), the windows OS does =
not exhibit this problem with dhcp, irregardless of the switch settings.

Curtis D. Smith
Network Administrator
Alabma State University
Phone: 334-229-4449=20
Fax: 334-229-4170
On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, CURTIS SMITH wrote:

> I am trying to load the module  I compiled from 3c90x.c.  I get
> unresolved symbol errors.  The error  file is attached.=20

This is a problem with your specific distribution, not with the driver
source code.
People here might be able to help if you listed your exact distribution,
specifically including which updates have been applied to the kernel and
kernel-headers packages.

Did 3Com provide any directions for your distribution?