[Fwd: Re: [vortex] 3c59x AUI and sockets AF_PACKET]

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Dec 18 11:38:03 2002

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 kernel@itris.fr wrote:

> > Uhmmm, which NIC are you setting to AUI?  The 3c905 or the 3c900?
> The 3c905 and the 3c900 (both)

> >It does appear that you have NIC mix-up or a routing proble, not a driver
> >problem.
>
> When I use the AF_PACKET socket() , it sends data to the link layer,
> (it sends ethernet frames directly), so there is nothing to do with
> a routing problem I think.

You still must bind to the device index, which usually requires that you
have some reference to the device.  If you do not have an IPv4 address
assigned, you can only find the device name in /proc/net/dev

> I am looking for sending ethernet frames (not at the IP level) from one
> card to the other (through AUI), and it refuses to open socket AF_PACKET
> (level 2), but ifconfig see them all (cards).
> So how can we send data through AUI with the 3c59x module  ?

The AUI aspect doesn't have anything directly to do with the problem.
My guess is that
   You tried to specify the transceiver on the 'ifconfig' line, which
   doesn't work and resulted in some other parameter not being set
   Your routing depended on DHCP, RARP or some similar protocol to get info.