[vortex] Auto-negotiation with different models of 3c59x

Ingo Reise Ingo.Reise@innovative-navigation.de
Mon Aug 19 03:20:01 2002

Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Ingo Reise wrote:
>>  Link partner capability is 0000:.
>>    Negotiation did not complete.
>
> That's bad. The transceiver doesn't receive any information about what the
> other end (the switch) is capable of. If the switch would be manageable
> I'd say that Full-Duplex was forced on it.

I'm not really familiar with the switches, but the model 18 and model 23 cards
are mixed over the switches and i don't think that exactly the ports for the
model 23 cards are forced to full duplex. Further, the results are independent
of the used switch and the used port.
netgear writes: "Automatic speed and full/half-duplex sensing
The switch supports n-way auto negotiation, and each port automatically senses
and operates at the proper speed and duplex mode, taking the burden of
configuration off the user."

>>My link partner is a netgear FS108 switch. It does autonegotiation with the
>>older cards, so i don't think the problem is on that side.
>>
> You could try 'mii-diag -r' or 'mii-diag -R' to see if anything changes.
> After each of them wait at least a minute before looking for the result.

I tried, no changes. Neither instantly (-r) nor after a minute (-v)

# mii-diag -R
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Resetting the transceiver...
Basic registers of MII PHY #24:  3000 780d 0040 6176 05e1 0000 0000 0000.
 Basic mode control register 0x3000: Auto-negotiation enabled.
 You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
 Your link partner does not do autonegotiation, and this transceiver type
  does not report the sensed link speed.
   End of basic transceiver information.

>>On a machine running SuSE 7.3 (2.4.10) a model 23 rev 6-card runs without
>>problems.
>
> So it's a problem with the driver ? Strange...

Strange, I agree :-(

--
Greetings,

Ingo Reise