[vortex] 802.1q VLAN problem

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Apr 19 06:29:01 2002

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Ben Greear wrote:

> Consider programatic driver hooks to allow the vlan code to enable
> the feature run-time too?  (An IOCTL would be fine, as the vconfig
> program could attempt it, maybe IOCTL_VLAN_ENABLE).  I believe Dave
> added a nice clean interface for this kind of thing to 2.5, btw).

No, at least at the beginning, but I will try to make everything modular
so that they can be called from up()/open() at init time based on module
options or later from ioctl/ethtool/whatever. I couldn't find anything
that would suggest races/misbehaviour if these features are enabled while
the interface is UP/RUNNING.

> Yes, I can see there would be more work to support larger (ie, 4k packets),
> but the wee little 4 extra bytes for vlan shouldn't cause any problems :)

Yep, I'll try to split it into 2 parts: one that does the VLAN part (which
doesn't really depend on MTU size) and one that allows variable MTU.