[vortex] 3c905C not auto-negotiating full duplex 100BaseT

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:03:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, David LANDGREN wrote:

> There is something weird going on. When I configure the switch to 100FD,
> the link dies. When I configure it to autoneg, the switch says it
> negotiated 10HD, despite the fact that mii-diag is reporting 100FD.

One way to find out for sure what speed is running on is to measure it 8-)
You can use tools like 'ttcp' or 'netperf' to do it.

When you configure the switch to 100-FD, is the card also forced to this
speed or is it autonegotiating or left at the default setting ?
If you configure the switch to autonegotiation while the card has a forced
speed, the card will report correctly the local speed, but only sometimes
the partner speed; this depends on the transceiver.

> I'm all for writing values to the EEPROM, if only I know what...

Are you really not able to run DOS in order to use 3Com's utility ? It's
by far simpler and more error-proof than using vortex-diag...

Sincerely,