[vortex] 3C905C-TX-M asics

John Kutil jkutil@home.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:20:55 -0700

I looked through the 3c59x.c and 3c90x.c latest drivers for a
problem I'm troubleshooting at work.

I written a driver for the 3C905C for an embedded PC system which
has a Lucent 40-0577-004 asic. My driver works great with this asic.

Running the same driver on a 3C905C with a Broadcom 40-0579-005 asic
has problems with upComplete receive interrupts not being
generated, resulting in overruns.

It appears that 3com uses Lucent and Broadcom asics on the 3C905C.

Have the linux developers had basic functionality problems on 3com
cards with different asic vendors and revision levels?  If if so,
do you tend to use the safest driver functionality?

It seems that buying different lots of the 3C905C should ideally
work the same across multiple asic vendors.

Any thoughts?

John Kutil
Blackboard