[vortex] help 3C905C on 2.4 kernel

Alvaro rey argustek@bellsouth.net
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:44:42 -0400

i emailed mr. costescu and he tolme to email you for help.

any hint is appreciated.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bogdan Costescu [mailto:bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de]
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 7:35 AM
To: Alvaro rey
Subject: RE: variant of 2.2's 3c59x.c

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Alvaro rey wrote:

> may be also due to my kernel ver from RedHat 7.1 i think is 2.4.2-2?

Please note that the driver that I sent to you (which you asked for) was
written for kernels 2.2 and is _known_ not to work with kernels 2.4. At
this moment there is no version available for kernels 2.4; the maintainer
of 3c59x driver wants to wait for 2.5 kernels to appear in order to
include the necessary changes in the driver; at some later time, these
changes might be back-ported to 2.4.

> this version had a driver but seems that is not the one for my:
>
> 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)

This card is certainly supported by the 3c59x driver. Please note that 2.2
kernels from RedHat (and other distributions) included another driver
called 3c90x which also supported this card; this is a driver written by
3Com, however they didn't release a version for 2.4 kernels, so the newer
distributions (based on 2.4 kernels) could not include it anymore.

> and would fail to load on boot every time. "eth0 failed"

If you are using the 3c59x driver and you get this error, please write to
vortex@scyld.com asking for help.

Sincerely,