[vortex] Problem with 3c982-TXM card.

Jesse W. Asher jasher1@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 18:52:09 -0400

--------------114EF6CE0A2A333497338E19

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Jesse W. Asher wrote:
>
> > #> ./vortex-diag -e
> > vortex-diag.c:v2.05 5/15/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
> >  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
> > Index #1: Found a 3c982 Dual Port server NIC adapter at 0x5000.
> > Saved EEPROM settings of a 3Com Vortex/Boomerang:
> >  3Com Node Address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF (used as a unique ID only).
> >  OEM Station address ff:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF (used as the ethernet address).
>
> Was the card mapped in and powered up?

What do you mean by "mapped in"?  I don't follow you here...

> What does 'vortex-diag -a' report?

Here's the output - see more info after the end of the command, however:

#> ./vortex-diag -a
vortex-diag.c:v2.05 5/15/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a 3c982 Dual Port server NIC adapter at 0x5000.
The Vortex chip may be active, so FIFO registers will not be read.
To see all register values use the '-f' flag.
Initial window 7, registers values by window:
  Window 0: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 1: FIFO FIFO ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 2: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 3: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 4: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 5: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 6: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 7: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
Vortex chip registers at 0x5000
  0x5010: **FIFO** ffffffff ffffffff *STATUS*
  0x5020: ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
  0x5030: ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
 Indication enable is ffff, interrupt enable is ffff.
 Interrupt sources are pending.
   Interrupt latch indication.
   Adapter Failure indication.
   Tx Complete indication.
   Tx Available indication.
   Rx Complete indication.
   Rx Early Notice indication.
   Driver Intr Request indication.
   Statistics Full indication.
   DMA Done indication.
   Download Complete indication.
   Upload Complete indication.
   DMA in Progress indication.
   Command in Progress indication.
 Transceiver/media interfaces available:  100baseT4 100baseTx 100baseFx
10baseT 10base2 AUI MII .
Transceiver type in use:  undefined-15.
 MAC settings: full-duplex, Large packets permitted, 802.1Q flow control, VLT
VLAN enabled.
Maximum packet size is 65535.
 Station address set to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.
 Configuration options ffff.
Index #2: Found a 3c982 Dual Port server NIC adapter at 0x5080.
The Vortex chip may be active, so FIFO registers will not be read.
To see all register values use the '-f' flag.
Initial window 7, registers values by window:
  Window 0: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 1: FIFO FIFO ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 2: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 3: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 4: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 5: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 6: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
  Window 7: ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff.
Vortex chip registers at 0x5080
  0x5090: **FIFO** ffffffff ffffffff *STATUS*
  0x50A0: ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
  0x50B0: ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
[...]

========================

I couldn't seem to get this unstuck even after a reboot and various other
things.  I finally used a DOS diag program provided by 3COM to reset
everything and now it is back to normal.  I don't understand how it got into
that state, but at least its functioning.  The only thing I can think of is
that I was trying to use bonding right before things went haywire and that
may have done something to the cards.  That would be surprising, but stranger
things have happened....

--
Jesse W. Asher              jasher1@tampabay.rr.com
Web Runner, Java Apostle, Perl Enthusiast, and WorldOS Believer