[vortex] Problems with Redhat 7.1 and 3c095c

Bill MacAllister bill@macallister.grass-valley.ca.us
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:55:44 -0700

--On Thursday, October 11, 2001 05:47:02 AM +0200 ruben@nutz.nl wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 01:31:15PM -0700, Bill MacAllister wrote:
>
>> I saw a recommendation on the list to upgrade to at least a 2.4.9
>> kernel.  That the problem seems to be independant of the network card
>> and driver seems to indicate that I should start there
>
> Possibly. On the other hand: since changing hardware and drivers won't
> help either it might also be a network-problem. :) I'm nasty, I know.

No, not nasty.  A very good think to look at more than once.  But, I just
don't see any problems with the Redhat 6.1 Linux machine on the same
network.

> Building a kernel isn't that hard. There are good howto's available,
> perhaps even on your machine.
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html is one to start with.
>
> You might already have it, look for /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

Yes, that is what I have found in the past, the HOWTO are a great resource.
What I would like to be convinced of is that it might actually solve the
problem.  I don't have much of a feel for it, but I am pretty clear that
futzing with the network cards will not change the problem.  The real pain
of building the kernel will probably be getting the source onto a machine
that refuses to do large network transfers.

Bill