[vortex] Problems with Redhat 7.1 and 3c095c

Bill MacAllister bill@macallister.grass-valley.ca.us
Mon, 08 Oct 2001 23:18:30 -0700

Hello,

I have a dual boot system, Windows 2000 Server and Redhat 7.1.  I will
flush Windows as soon as I can resolve the network problems I am seeing
with Linux.  This system originally had a Netgear card in it.  But, when I
starting having problems I decided to replace it with a more well-known-to-
the-Linux-community card, a 3com card, 3C905C-TX-M.  Initially I thought
that this fixed my problem, but while things are a bit better the problem
still exists.

What I see is that if I do things like telnet or imap or smtp everything
seems to work okay.  If I browse to a complex web page, the page starts
never completely download.  A stop and refresh sometimes will get the page,
sometimes not.  Over the weekend I was never successful in downloading an
11 mbyte rpm from an HP site---the transfer would go for the first couple
hundred k and then stall.  The behavior is the same using Netscape 4.76,
Netscape 6.1, or Lynx.  What is weird is that if I reboot the system into
Windows I can download the same rpm from the HP site at a steady 15 kb/sec.

Here is the network configuration

Linux/        10BaseT      Ascend          Ascend       CISCO
Windows  <--> Netgear <--> Pipe50 <-ISDN-> Max1800 <--> 2621  <-T1-> inet
System         Hub

The Linux/Windows system is a PII 350 with 384 megabytes on a AOpen AX6BC
motherboard based on the Intel 440BX chipset.

When I look with netstat -s the only thing that I see that looks amiss is
in the TCP section:

    135 bad segments received.
    1 resets sent

I did build a copy of mii-diag and vortex-diag, but this really is getting
over my head and I could use some help understanding what is going on.
Here is some output:

$ vortex-diag -e
vortex-diag.c:v2.05 5/15/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a 3c905C Tornado 100baseTx adapter at 0x6800.
Saved EEPROM settings of a 3Com Vortex/Boomerang:
 3Com Node Address 00:01:03:E9:7A:F9 (used as a unique ID only).
 OEM Station address 00:01:03:E9:7A:F9 (used as the ethernet address).
 Manufacture date (MM/DD/YYYY) 7/16/2001, division H, product JE.
  Vortex format checksum is incorrect (0090 vs. 10b7).
  Cyclone format checksum is incorrect (00 vs. 0x06).
  Hurricane format checksum is incorrect (0x29 vs. 0x06).

Bad checksums?  Is this the issue?  If it is I don't have a clue what to do
about it.

$ mii-diag
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Basic registers of MII PHY #24:  3000 786d 0180 7750 05e1 0020 0000 0000.
 Basic mode control register 0x3000: Auto-negotiation enabled.
 You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
 Your link partner is generating 10baseT link beat  (no autonegotiation).
   End of basic transceiver information.

Thanks for listening this long.  If this is a stupid question please be
patient enough to point me at the correct documentation.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bill