[vortex] 3c575 support broken

Mike Hayward hayward@loup.net
Tue Nov 20 19:52:00 2001

Hi Donald,

 > On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Mike Hayward wrote:
 > > I have a 3com pcmcia ethernet card which works great in my 2.2.x
 > > kernels with the 3c575_cb.c driver.  It no longer works in linux
 > > 2.4.7... the new driver 3c59x.c indicates that the old driver was
 > > merged in with it.  Here are the kernel boot messages:
 > >
 > > The new driver lights up the 10mbit led instead of the 100mbit led and
 > > is unresponsive.
 >
 > This indicates that the transceiver power configuration bits are
 > incorrectly set.

It's strange, but a day later the card started working and the driver
lights up the correct led.  I haven't seen the problem since.  All I
can figure is that recompiling the kernel instead of using the stock
kernel, or inserting pcmcia cards in a different order changed
something.

If I can find a way to reproduce it I'll let you know.  In the mean
time I'll just attribute it to Heisenberg.

Thanks for the response.

- Mike