[vortex] 3c59x 3c905C problems

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon, 28 May 2001 13:34:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Hamid Hashemi Golpayegani wrote:

> after about 1 hour the ping time of this machine that works
> 100Mb/Fullduplex increase to about 1000ms that cause the slow working for my
> users . I am using a 1 Mb/Sec line and this squid box .

It's not clear to me how your network is arranged. Is it like this:

computers --- hub/switch ----------- squid computer ----- ouside
				^		      ^
			    100Mb-FD		     1Mb

> I have use DecDigital chip before and with halfduplex mode and I don't
> have this problem .

So you think that the problem is with the full-duplex setting of the
3C905C ? I can't imagine a way for the card to work fine for an hour, than
to fail in this way.

If you think that the duplex setting is your problem, you could try
running mii-diag (from ftp://ftp.scyld.com/diag) and post your results here.

When this problem appears and you ping: from which computer to which
computer are you sending packets ?

What kind of 1Mb connection do you have ? Is this through a second NIC
connected to a modem (a la DSL) or something else ?

Sincerely,