[vortex] 3com 900B not working with mandrake 8.0 (kernel 2.4.3)

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue, 15 May 2001 20:00:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 15 May 2001, SYMUL Thomas FTRD/DTD/BAG wrote:

> I can't manage to make my 3COM 900B card working with mandrake 8.0 ( Kernel
> 2.4.3).

What are the problems ? Any error message in the logs ?

> It seems that the pb comes from the 900B card sharing the same IRQ that my
> video card.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, Linux drivers are supposed to be able
to share interrupts without problems. However, if you still have PCI slots
available, you might want to move around the network card (assuming that
the video card is AGP and cannot be moved) -  this might change the IRQ
the network card is assigned, so that it will have an interrupt line by
its own.

> I've tried to change the IRQ assignation in modules.conf, or
> with linuxconf, but it reports me an error during boot time (whatever is the
> free irq i try to assign to the ethernet card).

Where did you get the information that it can be changed like that ?
Specifying an "irq" module option is valid only for ISA cards. PCI cards
get interrupts assigned by the PCI subsystem, which you cannot control
this way.

> I also tried the 3c90x driver but it neither doesn't work.

Did you actually manage to compile the 3c90x driver ? AFAIK it's 2.2 only!

Sincerely,