[vortex] 3c905B configuration problem

agburns@bellsouth.net agburns@bellsouth.net
Sun, 06 May 2001 16:31:39 -0400

My nic is a 3com 3c905B-TX integrated on the motherboard.  The reports from
boot up loading the module, the mii-diag report and my linksys router do
not jive with each other.

At boot it recognizes the 3c905B and states it is a 100TX interface.  Then
the mii-diag says that auto-negiotate is not enabled and the nic is runing
at 10 Mbps, half duplex.  If I set any of the media options, it will not
have any effect on this report.

The only way to get the full duplex and 100mbps lights on my router to
light up is to set " options=1 "  Which is AUI and is stated so at boot up
when loading the 3c59x module.  I  don't know how to test the actual speed
of my nic other than pinging a pc on the network.  the options=1 setting
gives me the best response rate,  0.2 ms vs 0.3 ms. Similar response with
ping -f,  But it bothers me that the module is telling me I running at 10
mbps.  My linksys  uses switches so I should be set at full_duplex, but
everyone says that auto-negotiate is the preferred method.

Should I be testing the network differently and why the conflicting
info.  Why doesn't options=8 full_duplex=1 do the trick?

Any help will be appreciated.

Running on
Dell Optiplex - Intel PII - Slackware 7.1 - using the 3c59x that was
packaged with Slakware.
kernel 2.2.16
3c905B-TX  integrated on motherboad

Thanks