[vortex] Does 3c59x.c support 3C905C-TXM ?

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:48:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Marcus Ramos wrote:

> First of all, I am sorry that I forgot an extra letter "C" in the question
> below.

Well, you did it again in this message 8-)

> My real concern was about the differences between 3C905C-TX and
> 3C905C-TXM (that is, the "M" suffix in the latter).

AFAIK, M means "manageable" = presence of the EEPROM which allows net
boots (f.e. via PXE). For normal functioning of the card, this has really
no relevance.

> The system boots OK but none of the interfaces work. When trying to use one
> or the other, for example with ping, I get the message "Destination not
> reachable". lsmod tells me that 3c59x is properly loaded and is being used by
> 2 interfaces (as I expected). But why isn't any of them working in this
> situation ?

Very probably the routes are not set up properly. When you add the second
905C, there is no rule to tell whether it will be eth0 or eth1, the
detection order is imposed by PCI (but once installed, they appear always
in the same order). So I think that your on-board 905C becomes eth1, you
assign the wrong address to it and the routes are screwed-up.

Sincerely,