[vortex] modifying 3c59x,c to use polling

Giuseppe Ciaccio ciaccio@disi.unige.it
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:36:53 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, sundar raman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I am trying to modify the 3c59x.c file to work in a software polling mode.
>  (ie) a thread will check the status register every now and then and act
> upon it. I would like to know if anyone has any prior experiences in this.

Polling the status register might be time-consuming.  Polling the "status"
field of the DMA descriptor located at the head of the Rx ring is a
better solution.

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Ciaccio               http://www.disi.unige.it/person/CiaccioG/
DISI - Universita' di Genova   via Dodecaneso 35   16146 Genova,   Italy
phone +39 10 353 6638          fax +39 010 3536699 ciaccio@disi.unige.it