[vortex] Using the 3C556B driver with IBM Thinkpad A21p

Tom Crummey tom@ee.ucl.ac.uk
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 16:58:16 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

I've installed RedHat Linux 7 on an IBM ThinkPad A21p. I've followed the
recent discussions about the 3C556B card on this list and obtained the
driver changes at http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/3c59x.c-2.4.2-pre4
I also downloaded and built the linux kernel version 2.4.2 and dropped in
the 3c59x.c file from above.

What happens is that the card is not detected on bootup, but if I
manually load the module:

insmod /lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/drivers/net/3c59x.o

it detects the card and appears to work OK.

Why won't the card be detected on bootup? What have I not done that
is necessary?

Tom.

 Tom Crummey, Systems and Network Manager,      EMAIL: tom@ee.ucl.ac.uk
 Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering,
 University College London,                       TEL: +44 (0)20 7679 3898
 Torrington Place,                                FAX: +44 (0)20 7388 9325
 London, UK, WC1E 7JE.