[vortex] Problem w/ installing 3c59x, IRQ 0

Dana Madsen Dana.madsen@irdinc.com
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 16:43:54 -0600

Hi,

I've got problems installing/configuring the network card when I am trying
to install debian 2.2.

My card is a 3Com 3C900B-TPO

I'm trying to install debian from a windows partition on my drive

I boot the linux kernel using loadlin and go through the installation,
configuring in the network driver 3c59x for my card.  At this point I get
the following information from dmesg

eth0: 3Com 3c900 Cyclone 10Mbps TPO at 0x5800, 00:50:da:ba:b4:74, IRQ 0
*** Warning: IRQ 0 is unlikely to work! ***
Internal config register is 800000, transceivers 0x8
8k byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, Autonegotiate interface
Media override to transceiver type 0 (10baseT)
Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.

I show nothing for the card in /proc/interrupts

In /proc/pci there is a listing as follows

Ethernet Controller: 3Com Unknown device (rev 4)
Vendor id=10b7 Device id=9004
Medium devsel. Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=10. Max Lat=48.
I/O at 0x5800 [0x5801]

and in /proc/ioports the last three entries are
5800-587f : eth0
e400-er07 : ide0
e408-e40f : ide1

In Win 98 my card is shown to have the following parms
IO - e800-e83f
IRQ - 10

Any suggestions as to why it isn't recognizing the IRQ from Bios.

I'm going to try booting from disks rather than using loadlin out of DOS.

Dana Madsen