[vortex] Problem with 3com 10/100 Mini PCI adapter(3c556B?)under 2.2.19

Fred Maciel fred-m@crl.hitachi.co.jp
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 13:06:58 +0900

Dear Yamamoto-san and Andrew (and everybody),

> I've just checked the BIOS menu.
> It seems that there's no way to disable `PNP OS' in my BIOS.

I just remembered something that might be useful:

http://www2.neweb.ne.jp/wd/fbm/3c556/installation.html
[...in case of problems] turn off Plug and Play (PnP) in the BIOS
completely (turning off the PCI Plug and Play only is not enough). On
the [Daewoo] Qrium [PC] it is not possible to turn off PnP in the
BIOS, so reset the ECSD (configuration data), and unplug the power
supply.

Do you have something that looks like ECSD (Extended System
Configuration Data) in your BIOS? Is there an option to reset it?
(Don't forget to unplug the power supply).

> Another idea would be to use the drivers straight from scyld.com -
> Donald Becker is an expert on PCI things.  However from my reading,
> the -Re version of Donald's 3c59x doesn't support the 3c556B:
>
>         {"3c556 Laptop Tornado",{ 0x605510B7, 0xffffffff },
>          PCI_IOTYPE, CYCLONE_SIZE,
IS_TORNADO|HAS_NWAY|EEPROM_8BIT, },
>         {"3c556 series Laptop Tornado",{ 0x605510B7, 0xf0ffffff },
>          PCI_IOTYPE, CYCLONE_SIZE,
IS_TORNADO|HAS_NWAY|EEPROM_8BIT, },

> Perhaps that `0xf0ffffff' should be `0xfff0ffff'.

Also, I couldn't find in -Ra support for the EEPROM_OFFSET (that 0x30
offset found only in the 3c556B; did you see it in -Re? BTW, where did
you find -Re?).

Translation :-): Yamamoto-san, if you try Donald's drivers and it
doesn't see the Ethernet address of the 3c556B, that's the reason...
It might be worth trying 2.4 first.

Regards,

Fred Maciel.