[vortex] Problem with Nokia ADSL modem/hub and 3c905

Ville Herva vherva@mail.niksula.cs.hut.fi
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:05:44 +0200

I have a Nokia ADSL modem with 4 10MBit ethernet ports. I have a
linux 2.2.18 box with one 3c905A connected to it. If I unplug the
network cable from the Nokia box and try to plug it back, the link leds
stay off. If If boot the Nokia box, the leds are on, but the connection
won't work. The Nokia box doesn't answer arp etc. If I now boot the Linux
machine, everything works again.

I've tried ifuping and ifdowning the interface, rmmodding and insmodding
the 3c59x module etc, to no avail.

While this is most likely a Nokia ADSL box bug, but since I'm unable to
debug or tweak it, I would be interested to know if there is anything I
can try at the 3c59x end. It is frustrating to have to boot the linux box
everytime there is a problem with the ADSL connection.

What might cause this? I'm guessing somekind of duplex negotiation
failure.

The 3c59x reports autoselect/MII media regardless of whether the
connection is working or not.

-- v --

v@iki.fi