[vortex] 3C905CX, 2.2.18, Dell Dimension 4100 (P933) ReceiveFailure Fix / Inquiry

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 01:00:33 +1100

Joe Rouvier wrote:

> If it's rare for a device to take more than one PCI transaction to do
> something, do you think the ~30000 transaction count for RxReset on the
> 3c905cx means the current driver doesn't init the card correctly?  Or is
> the new chip just slow on that command?

The code in 2.2.19-pre does (I think) 2,000 PCI transactions
back-to-back.  Then it falls back to one PCI read per
10 microseconds, so it's not too bad.

This is basically what 3com's own driver does, which is
presumably what their windows driver does.  freebsd
just does a "what the heck" 100 millisecond pause.

I do intend to instrument 3com's linux driver, see if
that is also pausing for 30 milliseconds.  If it is,
then we're presumably not doing anything wrong in the
initialisation.  The device simply changed.