[vortex] Slow thoughput / failed downloading large files from win hosts using linux 2.2.18/3c59x.c

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:42:11 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Mark Ridley wrote:

> I had a similar problem which was due to auto-negotiation, not working
> correctly.
>
> I went to the 3Com site and downloded the 3comdiag (or similar) and booted
> my linux box from a dos disk with this executable on it.
>
> I then configured my 3c905b and saved the settings, hard coding exactly what
> i wanted... essentially, switching of full-duplex which sorted my problems.

The recommended setting is autonegotiation on both ends (card and switch).
Only if this fails, you might want to force something, but forcing should
also be done _at both ends_. If the switch is forced to full-duplex and
the card is left to autonegotiate, in most of the cases, the card will
sense half-duplex and you have a mismatch.
Forcing media type for the card/driver can be done by setting the "default
media" in EEPROM (for example with the DOS utility from 3Com), by
specifying module options or at run-time using the mii-diag utility (with
the -F option).

Sincerely,