[vortex] media sepection

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 16:07:28 +1100

Don,

I seem to have found the problem which the Dell guys
have been having with the 3c980 - no HAS_NWAY in the
device table.

Question, please:  why do we need HAS_NWAY at all?

The situation is that the internalconfig register has
autoselect=true and xcvrSelect=autoneg.

In this situation, the driver starts out with 100baseTX,
finds link beat and then screws up, because of a duplex
mismatch.  Putting HAS_NWAY into the device table
overrides this.

Rather than putting more HAS_NWAYs into the device table,
wouldn't it be better to make the autoselect sequence
start out with XCVR_NWAY, and then advance onto 100baseTX
in this situation?  I mean, the NIC has _told_ us that
it wants to do nway.

Thanks.