[vortex] Activate debug on 3c59x when not in module (3com 905b)

Fabien Salvi fabien@cri74.org
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:13:16 +0100

Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Fabien Salvi wrote:
>
> > When I tried some transfers between 2 machines, I have real 100Mbps and
> > full-duplex in autonegociate (with a cisco switch), but the real
> > bandwidth is 100ko/s !!
>
> How do you know that you have "real 100Mbps and full-duplex" ? How do you
> measure the "real bandwidth" ?
> Cisco switches tend to create autonegotiation problems.
>
> > There are a lot of collisions.
>
> So, probably you have a mismatch.
>
> > When I use other kernel 2.2.16 or so, I have full speed.
>
> This is weird. Can you be more precise about the kernel version ?
>
> > But the problem is not clear, It happens between some machines and not
> > others with same card and same kernel version.
>
> >From http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html, there are 2 programs that
> might help you: vortex-diag and mii-diag. I would try first mii-diag,
> because I suspect a media mismatch.

Thanks for your help.
I have already tested the diag tools but I can't find any solutions.

In fact, the problems exist when I am in full-duplex.
When I switch to half duplex (via cisco configuration), I don't have any
problems anymore...

This arrive with standard kernel driver (15Apr00, Andrew Morton) or last
stable D. Becker version (3c59x.c:v0.99Qk 7/5/2000 Donald Becker).

But, I don't have problems with (3c59x.c:v0.99L 5/28/99 Donald Becker)
kernel 2.2.16 or 2.2.13
or 2.2.14

Fabien SALVI      Centre de Ressources Informatiques
                  Archamps, France -- http://www.cri74.org
                  PingOO GNU/linux distribution : http://www.pingoo.org