[vortex] eth1: 3Com Vortex at 0x6000, ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, IRQ 3 :(

ruben@nutz.nl ruben@nutz.nl
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 01:44:40 +0100

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 04:37:43PM +0100, jon707@kollegiegaarden.dk wrote:

> i have a EISA 3c597-TX that doesnt work.

> I suspect it is because it gets the MAC address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.

Cards have a MAC, and don't get one*. It could work, even with that MAC. Only
thing: it would receive *all* traffic, since 2^48 is reserved as the
ethernet-broadcast address. Any frame on the network would end up in your
network-stack.

But probably the output of your software means that the card isn't working.

(* in general. certain cards allow for user-assigned MAC's.)
--
Ruben

"On a normal ascii line, the only safe condition to detect is a 'BREAK'
- everything else having been assigned functions by Gnu EMACS."
(By Tarl Neustaedter)