[vortex] Problems with TX underruns in 2.4.9

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Dec 28 10:33:01 2001

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:
> James Yonan wrote:
> >
> > I'm having problems with TX underruns when I download files using FTP over a
> > 100BaseT ethernet connection (eth1) from a windows machine on the same
> > ethernet segment.
>
> Possibly the 3c595 is not set up for busmastering transmit.  This is
> controlled by the 16th word of the EEPROM.  Could you please dump
> the eeprom with `vortex-diag -aee -#1' , where "1" should, I think, select
> eth1.

Ohhh, I missed that it was a 3c595 card!

I was assuming that it was a 3c905 card, and someone had recently added
a Tx threshold setting that less than a full packet.  (It would be a
good idea to add dynamic Tx threshold code, but it should be tested to
verify that it works before release.)