[vortex] causes 3c905c jitter ???

Stefan Doehla stefan@power.ele.utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 18 10:32:01 2001

Hi!

I have here a realtime application with RTLinux. It seemed to me that
some PCI cards vblock from time to time the PCI bus. E.g. video cards
tend to use the pci_retry feature of the PCI spec -> PCI bus is locked
for some microseconds. This problem was solved with a downgrade to XFree
3.3.6.

To my problem: XForwarding and some other network stuff (which should be
used later in conjunction with the realtime programs) causes also
jitter. It seems like the softwareside is okay.
It looks like only outgoing traffic causes problems ...

Can the 3com networkcard lock the PCI bus for some microseconds? Uses it
a fifo that's not checked before writing (due to performance gains)?

If yes to any of the above things: Can I pass options to the module to
be more friendly to realtime things (a loss of performance is not so
important)? Will the 3com driver instead of the Linux driver help?

Thanks for any information,
Stefan