[vortex] FEM656C NIC problems with kernel 2.4

Felipe Alfaro Solana falfaro@sunformacion.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:23:32 +0200

Hello,

I have a 3Com FEM656C CardBus NIC (aka Tornado) installed on my
PackardBell Chrom@ computer. I have RedHat Linux 7.0 distribution
installed currently running with kernel 2.2.16/2.2.17. The NIC works
fine when I use the 2.2 kernel, but when I turn to the 2.4 kernel, the
NIC is nonfunctional. Let me explain my guessing:

Using "lspci", I have found that kernel 2.2 performs correct resource
allocation. The FEM656C is a Fast Ethernet controller + 56K modem. The
kernel 2.2 assigns I/O ports in range 0x1100-0x11ff for the Ethernet
function of the adapter, and assigns I/O ports in the range
0x1000-0x10ff for the modem function of the adapter. However, linux
kernel 2.4 seems to assign I/O ports in the range 0x1000-0x10ff for both
adapter functions, overlapping the I/O ports range for both the Ethernet
function and the modem function in the adapter.

When I boot into kernel 2.4, the NIC is nonfunctional as both adapter
functions are enabled and sharing the I/O ports range. This results in
the kernel and the vortex-diag tool reporting that my MAC address is
FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF (which, of course, is not correct). The vortex-diag
tools is gathering information bith all bits set to to 1, and this
explains why my MAC address is a network broadcast address and all
registers are set to FF. If you want more information, I will post all
the information Igathered from the 2.2 and 2.4 kernels.

Although I am no kernel hacker, I think all of this is due to a bad
resource assignment done by the PCI drivers in linux kernel and not the
vortex driver itself. However, I don't know a better place to start this
thread and who can I send this information to.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot why Linux is assigning the same I/O
ports range to both functions of my 3Com adapter? Can anyone help me
fixing or forcing resource allocation for the card?

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,

   Felipe Alfaro Solana

PD: You can contact me at e-mail falfaro@sunformacion.com or