[vortex] Port of 3C556 support to OS/2?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 21:36:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

> Subject: Re: [vortex] Port of 3C556 support to OS/2?
> > distributing the Linux driver
> > ported to a non-GPL OS is a violation of the license.
> >
> By "the license" are you referring to the GPL? I didn't know there was a
> clause in there which prohibited porting to non-GPL OSes. As I haven't
> d/l'd the Linux driver, I haven't looked over the specific license which
> applies to it; perhaps I should.

Read
  http://www.scyld.com/expert/license.html

The driver is part of a larger program, not a stand-alone program in its
own right.  Linking it against a non-GPL OS usually results in a license
conflict.  Oh, unless you have the right to distribute the OS/2 source
code under the GPL, which is very unlikely.