[vortex] can't unload module

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 23:37:52 +1100

David Fries wrote:

> I've included my latest patch.

It's possible that the NIC is getting into the upload-stalled state when
it shouldn't. So the "unneeded"

	outw(UpUnstall, ioaddr + EL3_CMD);

is bringing it back to life.  This could be caused by incorrect data
transferred during a bus mastering read.  You could try putting the
above statement into somewhere like boomerang_start_xmit() to give it a
kick occasionally. <subliminal_message>New
motherboard</subliminal_message>.

You can test the upStalled state of the NIC in bit 13 of `inl(ioaddr +
UpPktStatus)'

> /* it doesn't like this
> entry--;
> vp->cur_rx--;
> */

That will sometimes cause `entry' to take the value -1.  Your kernel
will be destroyed secretly and fatally.

> I would assume that would mean motherboard or network card that gets
> along with the motherboard.

Yup.

David, I suggest we cut the Cc:'s from now on - it looks like were not
making progress on the unregister_netdevice problem.