[vortex] can't unload module

David Fries dfries@umr.edu
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 22:41:20 -0500

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 03:39:00PM -0500, David Fries wrote:
> The new problem about 'unregister_netdevice: waiting ...' I can
> reproduce it by,
> insmod 3c59x
> ifconfig eth0 ...
> (on another console) ping -s 15000 -f aerospace
> ifconfig eth0 down; rmmod 3c59x
>
> That usually gives about two lines of 'unregister_netdevice...' before
> is able to be removed.
>
> Odd thing about the 'unregister_netdevice' problem is I was still able
> to unload the module until I inserted my ne2000 card and ifconfiged it
> up.

It looks like I have to unload the network modules in the opposite
order I loaded them.  That doesn't sound right.

> I did,
> insmod 3c59x
> modprobe ne io=0x300 irq=111
> ifconfig eth0 ...
> ifconfig eth1 ...
> ifconfig eth0 down
> rmmod 3c59x
> and it keep giving, 'unregister_netdevice' message over and over until
> I rebooted.

> The the driver for this network card 3c905b, uses a circular buffer
> list for it's receive buffer right?  Could you modify the receive
> routine to build a histogram that records which buffer each packet is
> being received from?  Each second spit out a list that gives each
> buffer number and the total number of packets received from that buffer.
>
> I'm wondering if in my case buffers and getting stuck and it has less
> buffers to work with causing lower network performance and sometimes
> everything is full and it stops receiving.
>
> Then again I haven't looked at the card in detail or driver.

That doesn't look like the case.  I implimented the histogram and in
boomerang_rx I counted which entry it dealt with and they were all
with in one of each other.

--
		|      David Fries                |