[vortex] eth0: Too much work in interrupt, ...

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 00:55:38 +1100

Hamid Reza Shahriari wrote:

> I means that error messages were reduced, and in high loads, it halts
> later.
> The main bottleneck for me is kernel halt that is without any message when
> halts! Is this due to disabling interrupts in NIC driver?

Hamid,

what do you mean by "halt"?  Do you mean that the entire operating
system fails, or do you mean that the network interface fails?

If it's an operating system failure, then you should consider a more
recent kernel, and perhaps play with the contents of
/proc/sys/vm/freepages.

It it's a driver failure then does an ifdown/ifup fix it?   If it does,
then it may be that you're hitting the problem where the driver fails
when it totally runs out of rx buffers.  If the ifdown/ifup doesn't fix
the network interface then try booting your kernel with `noapic' on the
LILO command line.