[vortex] 3Com 3CCFE575 Cyclone CardBus going *boom* at 100Mbit and high load

Uwe Maier um@nice.de
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:20:31 +0200

> I use a 3Com 3CCFE575 Cyclone CardBus card in my laptop with Linux 2.2.17
> and I notice that it will die when I transfer a lot of data on 100Mbit.
> It usually is OK (butsometimes happens then as well) at 10Mbit.
[...]
> Don't show these messages, but simply lock up the machine hard when this
> happens.
I see this happening too. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3200 with the same
card.
It sometimes locks up on heavy network traffic, sound usage (I confess
...) and when the internal fans is starting. This also happens using
WinNT-Drivers. But it's happening not that often using linux because of
the power management being better than on WinNT which keeps the CPU
cooler and makes the fan starting less often.

So it might not be related to the linux drivers in any way. The lock
wents away, when I remove the card. Even if I can save my work I'm
unable to bring down the machine properly.
I changed interrupts, addresses, dmas. But with no positive result. It
still locks up once a week.
I know that doesn't help you but I'm also curious about a solution.

Regards
uwe