[vortex] Re: 3c555.....solved! (well, almost)

Fred Maciel fred-m@crl.hitachi.co.jp
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:03:32 +0900

Hi Everybody,

(From Andrew:)
> erm...  Fred, I think you told me that the 3c555 needs EEPROM_8BIT. So
> this patch:
[...]
> Should be enough to get David going?

Yes. This patch (and more) is included already in my patched driver (version
2217).

(From David:)
> The driver at:
> http://www2.neweb.ne.jp/wd/fbm/3c556/
> worked fine. [...] Thank you all for your help!

Glad to hear that! But:

> I have a problem with some error messages about unresolved
> references when I use depmod -a, but I will try some different compile
> options to see if I can resolve this.

Hmm... I've seen that happen before, but I'm not sure about the cause.
Perhaps the kernel was compiled with module versions and the module without
them (or vice-versa?). I vaguely remember that insmod and modprobe work but
depmod -a fails in this case. (Sigh... Compiling modules has too many
pitfalls...).

So, the usual questions:
- Are you using the kernel that came with Red Hat or a kernel that you
compiled yourself? If it's the latter, did you set module versions?
- Are you sure that your /usr/src/linux link points to the source of the
kernel that you are compiling the module for?
- If you are using a kernel that you compiled by yourself, a last resort
attempt to solve the problem: can you try re-compiling the kernel,
re-booting with this kernel, compiling the module, installing it under
/lib/modules, and trying depmod -a?

> Fred you can add the Micron nx base station to the list of supported
adaptors!

Time to update my page... :-)

Regards,

Fred.