[vortex] Can WOL Password be set ??

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 20:20:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Roland Pabel wrote:

> >No, the 3Com chips don't support a WOL password.
> [...]
>
> So if this ain't possible, I guess that accessing the information
> of the WOL-packet is neither possbile ? Especially knowing whether
> the computer was powered up by the network card would be
> important.

You can find out if the network card received a magic packet, but not
if it was the device that raised the PME (Power Management Event) signal.

You must check the card for a magic packet reception before loading the
driver.  The PowerMgmtCtrl register is both in PCI configuration space and
at offset 0x7c in I/O space.  Reading the register in I/O space might not
work, so I use the 'pci-config' program to read the PMEstatus bit (bit 15,
0x8000).

> Since the magic packet generated by ether-wake includes
> the hardware address of the sender it could be used to determine
> whether the powerup was authorized (and then linux could log it and
> power down again) or not.
> possible?

You can read the packet data out, but that involves using the chip before it
has been reset.  Doing that is risky.