[vortex] 3c905CX-TXM

Andrew Morton morton@nortelnetworks.com
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:16:15 +0000

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Berkan Eskikaya wrote:
>
> > I recently bought several OEM 3Com NICs. The stickers on the bubble-wrap
> > said they're 3C980TX, on the cards themselves the model id is given as
> > 3c905CX-TXM.
>
> Hmmm, "CX"???

Donald,

Richard Gooch has recently picked up two of these -CX cards and they're
not working.  He's getting a timout when sending an RxReset command
to the NIC during initialisation.

In the 2.4 driver we loop for 4,000 PCI cycles waiting for the command
complete.  It's timing out.

I note that 3com's 3c90x.c busywaits for up to one second waiting for
the
command to complete.  So as an experiment I've asked Richard to increase
the loop count to 4,000,000.

It seems that 3com have changed something.  Interesting that the
new NICs don't work with 3com's driver.

Steven, are you able to shed any light on this?  Has something changed
in the 3c905CX-TXM?