3c59x with linuxppc

C&A a.tobler@schweiz.org
Fri May 5 14:09:57 2000

Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> Why would you want to do that? You have the original driver (0.99H from
> kernels up to 2.2.15) which uses cli/sti. If you want to track the change
> that broke your setup, you might want to take the other way around: find
> out the exact changes (with diff and by taking a look at the list from
> the beginning of the source) and apply them gradually to 0.99H.

This is what I started to to do a few hours ago. Step by step. Now I'm
not at the machine which has the card in.
I hope this way I'll find out which part is kicking me.

> As far as I saw from your logs, the driver finishes well the
> initialization (vortex_open), set_rx_mode is called several times and then
> nothing. The driver has printk's in boomerang_start_xmit and

This made me stuck, since I don't get a crash dump or something else.
Only the last messages and then a freeze. The cursor is flashing and
sometimes I managed to enter a return with success. But this only worked
one or two times. Then no more activity.
Only a shift + prtscr gave me a screen output. everthing else blocked.

> vortex_interrupt/boomerang_rx (so both Tx and Rx paths which should be
> touched if there is some net activity) but they do not appear...
> Do you also get these (and only these) messages on the console? (I'm
> asking this because some messages may be lost on system crash).

I routed the messages to the dbg file and to the console too.
As I remember I got the same messages on console as on the dbg file.

As said above I go now step by step implementing the patch to the
original code.
This will take some time, I'll let you know about my progress.

Thanks,

Andreas