[vortex] 3C905TX doesn't see 10Mbps hub till unplugged/replugged

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:26:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Bill Newcomb wrote:

> Rmmod and then insmod doesn't make it come up; I still need to
> unplug/replug to make it work.  Once I've done the unplug/replug, if I
> rmmod, the light doesn't go out.
> angle when I thought I observed the card's light not on.  But the card
> light is on whenever the card is plugged into the hub.  So someone in
> the card knows that the hub is there...
> Hub light comes on immediately once I plug the cable back in.
> Card LED is on shortly after I power up the machine.  Hub LED doesn't
> come on till I unplug/replug, at which time it comes on immediately
> and I immediately have access to the network.

I think that the card wants to autonegotiate, but as the hub cannot,
finishes in a strange state, whithout knowing what's at the other end.

mii-diag does control the card by writting the Control register of MII
(register 0) with the right information: 10baseT; however, the driver does
not appear to do this by itself. I couldn't find any occurence of
mdio_write to register 0 in the driver, so I suppose that the driver
expects the MII interface to deal with this situation and only reads from
MII to see what it "autonegotiated".

Donald, Andrew, others: how is this situation supposed to be handled: when
you have a MII interface which does not "sense" what's at the other end?
The current vortex_timer (I'm looking at Andrew's driver now) only changes
the full duplex setting, but not the speed.

Sincerely,