[vortex] Re: 3c59x.c update

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Sun, 04 Jun 2000 21:47:07 +1000

Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> > From: Andrew Morton <andrewm@uow.edu.au>
> > Subject: Re: 3c59x.c update
>
> > Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > An request for interested parties to try out a small update
> > > to the 2.2.x kernel's 3c59x.c driver.
> >
> > http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/3c59x.c-2.2.16-pre4-6.gz
> >
> > Fixed a subtle but dopey problem with parentheses.
> >
> > Any word on sparc64 testing?
>
> sparc64 is the domain of P Jones, but I did test your code on sparc
> and it works perfectly.

Thanks, Pete.

> I cannot run 2.2.x so I made a diff, edited it,
> rerun patch(1) so that relevant parts were introduced into my driver
> on 2.3.18.
>
> I would appreciate if you add this change to the 2.4.x tree.

Yup.  The patch against 2.4 is at
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/net/0005.3/0069.html .  It looks
like it got lost (hint).  I'll resend in a few days; currently on the
trail of some possible tx timeout bogosity.

> If you suggest that it is adviseable, I would defend the demise of
> bitfields before the face of Donald for the inclusion into his tree.

Donald reads linux-vortex, so he'll be aware of the issue.

The 3c515 driver uses the same bitfield trick, but it appears to be
EISA-only.  Please tell me that sparc64 machines don't use EISA :)

--
-akpm-