[vortex] 3C905 unplug/replug redux

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Sun, 02 Jul 2000 15:58:53 +1000

Bill Newcomb wrote:

> After perusing the docs from 3com and also the datasheet for the
> DP83840, it seems like it's the case that the parallel detection with
> the 83840 doesn't work quite as advertised, or that perhaps my cheapo
> hub doesn't generate good enough signal for parallel detection.

3com's driver has an option 'switchdelay' which they say:

    Delays the driver initialization by three seconds to allow
    slower switches to respond to the NIC initialization.

It's a rather dubious implementation but it appears to be preventing any
rx/tx activity for three seconds after the transmitter and receiver have
been enabled.

Any theories, anyone?