Problem with 3c905 and Mandrake 6.1

Matthew Hill matthill@home.com
Mon Feb 14 07:04:47 2000

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01BF4C64.5479C410

Followup:

I have the alias for eth0 set in /etc/conf.modules to 3c59x.
I tried to eliminate the IRQ sharing for the3c905  as I'd heard that =
some
PCI NICs don't particularly share well. It didn't to make a difference. =
I am still unable to transmit or receive, though the card
initializes okay and is reported as okay (with correct IRQ, MAC, I/O =
with ifconfig -a

What else can I try?
 Outside of replacing the NIC with an old ISA, I've run out of =
ideas...HELP!

TIA
Matt
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Matthew Hill <matthill@home.com>
    To: linux-vortex@beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov =
<linux-vortex@beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov>
    Date: Monday, December 20, 1999 11:28 AM
    Subject: Problem with 3c905 and Mandrake 6.1
   =20
    Hi,

    I recently installed Mandrake 6.1 as another bootable OS on my =
Celeron based

    system. I also have NT 4 and Win98 operating on the same system =
using the

    installed 3c905 board.

    I am unable to get the 3c905 to access the network under Mandrake. I =
have

    rebuilt the kernel and tried both the original 3c59x driver as well =
as the

    3com 3c90x driver both loading as modules.

    The system seems to prefer the 3c59x driver as it initializes the =
board fine

    and ifconfig reports eth0 as okay (using IRQ 9 ).

    I currently have the option debug=3D1 set. When I attempt to ping a =
local

    linux box there is no response and a message "transmit timed out =
tx_status

    00 status e000" is reported.

    Any help or suggestions are welcome. I'm currently considering =
juggling IRQs

    used by the PCI bus as IRQ 9 is also used by another device (there =
were no

    sharing complaints so I assumed they both would behave).

    thanks,

    Matt

    matthill@home.com <mailto:matthill@home.com>

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01BF4C64.5479C410

Followup:

I have the alias for eth0 set in /etc/conf.modules to = 3c59x.
I tried=20 to eliminate the IRQ sharing for the3c905  as I'd heard that = some
PCI=20 NICs don't particularly share well. It didn't to make a difference. I am = still=20 unable to transmit or receive, though the card
initializes okay and is reported as okay (with correct IRQ, MAC, = I/O with=20 ifconfig -a

What else can I try?
 Outside of replacing the NIC with an = old ISA,=20 I've run out of ideas...HELP!

TIA
Matt
-----Original = Message-----