[vortex] Full duplex = 3Cxxx NICs + 3C16735B switch + current 3c59x driver?

Steve Snyder swsnyder@home.com
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:18:03 -0500 (CST)

I admin a LAN whose client NICs are mostly 3C905Bs, with one 3C905
and a couple 3C575 (PCCard) devices.  I will be replacing our hub in
few days with a 3Com OfficeConnect 3C16735B switch.  What's the
forecast for full-duplex operation with this switch and these NICs?

I've read through the Vortex and Linux Network mailing list archives
and there seems to be conflicting opinions about what it takes to get
full-duplex operation, and even whether full-duplex is a desirable
thing.  I'm feeling uncertain as to what the truth really is.

All the NICs that will connect to this switch are set to
auto-negotiate.  I'm not forcing 10Mbps or 100Mbps on any of them.  In
fact, I'm using any configuration options at all.  The 3c59x driver
does a great job of configuring them automatically.

So...  given the hardware listed above and the current state of the
3c59x driver, will I get full-duplex traffic under Linux v2.2.1x?  Do
I need to explicitly set any driver options, or can I just continue
letting the driver figure it all out?

Thank you.

*** Steve Snyder ***