[vortex] newbie stuff

Nathan Kontny n_kontny@yahoo.com
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 06:50:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hey everyone. Just got started with Linux, and I am
trying to get my adsl from Mindspring to work with
Linux. I have a 3com 3c900b ethernet card. And I have
mandrake 7.1. It already had the 3c59x driver, but per
3com's advice i went ahead and installed the 3c90x
driver. And i do not know how to check if my card is
configured properly.

I have run ifconfig eth0 ( the alias being set up to
the 3c90x driver. and it has a hwadd of all 0's. That
can't be right, but what should it be. And the maker
of my pppoe driver says i shouldn't have my eth0
interface coming up at boot time. How do I change that
if it does?

Thanks for the advice.