[vortex] compile 3c90x.c with smp option

Fred Maciel fred@mb.neweb.ne.jp
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:44:52 +0900

Dear Mengqiu,

> I was trying to install the NIC(3com 3c905c) driver for my Redhat6.1 with
> dual processors using the source file ( 3c90x-1.0.0i.tar.gz ) downloaded
> from 3com.
>
> Since it is a dual processor machine, I need to add "-D__SMP__" for SMP
> support.  But it always shows the error msg as:

Red Hat 6 ships with SMP and uni-processor kernels, but the kernel headers
are common to both, which causes some problems. I had problems with Red Hat
6.0 and filed a bug report (see "Bug #3911: Problem in kernel version
support on SMP" in the Red Hat Bugzilla,
http://developer.redhat.com/bugzilla/ ). The answer I got from them (which
is not in Bugzilla) was:

"Will this be addressed in Red Hat 6.1?

Yes, in 6.1 you will just add a compile time flag like -DBUILD_KERNEL_SMP
to build a module for the smp kernel. Default will still be for the
uni-processor kernel."

BTW, you will not have this problem if you use a "pristine" kernel, i.e., if
you compile a kernel from the original sources instead of the (modified) Red
Hat sources and then compile the driver using the header files of the
pristine kernel.

Regards,

                         Fred Maciel