[vortex] Problem with 3c905b under 2.2.16

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Tue, 08 Aug 2000 02:00:29 +0000

Shane Wegner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This system, a pentium 75 with 8mb of ram,

Good heavens.

> eth0: vortex close stats: rx_nocopy 77860 rx_copy 33 tx_queued 14 Rx

                                      ^^^^^

I assume from this that you are sending it some pretty large UDP
packets?

I'd suspect that you're running the system out of memory.  If you do
this hard enough the driver will fail.  It stops receiving packets and
requires an ifdown/ifup to restore it.

A fix for this went into Alan's 2.2.17-pre5 tree.  There's a copy at
http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/3c59x.c-2.2.17-pre5-1.gz - simply
replace the existing drivers/net/3c59x.c with that file and rebuild.

And don't forget to let us know what happens :)