forcing 3com 10/100 cards to 10Mbps

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Sep 19 11:48:07 1999

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Jason Zwolak wrote:

> After a cold boot I can do this:
>
> root@powertower:/home/jzwolak/download# ./mii-diag -A
> 10BaseT eth1
>  Setting the media capability advertisement register of PHY
> #24 to 0x10bb.
> Basic registers of MII PHY #24:  1000 786b 2000 5c01 10bb
> 40a1 0003 0000.

It took me over 30 minutes of testing to figure out what went wrong here.
The correct media type is '10baseT', not '10BaseT'.
Because the string didn't match exactly the 'mii-diag' program interpreted
the to-advertise value as the number "0x10ba" rather than the translated
0x0060.

Try '-A 10baseT'.  I will add code to avoid this in the future.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html