New 3Com Linux 10/100 Driver

John_H_Harrison@3com.com John_H_Harrison@3com.com
Tue Sep 14 13:22:40 1999

Dear 3Com Linux Network Interface Card User:

We are excited to announce that 3Com has developed a Linux Network driver
(3c90x) for use with our latest 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI Network Interface Card
(NIC) products!  This is one of our first steps into the Linux world, and our
goal is to provide a more robust driver that provides stability with our latest
NIC families.  This driver works with our 3C905B, 3C905C, 3C980B, 3C980C and
3C900B products.  This driver is being released under terms of the GNU General
Public License (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html).   We have worked with
Donald Becker to ensure compatibility with his 3C59x driver
(http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html).   If you are using a
3C59X or 3C905 card, Donald's driver is the correct driver you should use.   Our
thanks goes to Donald for his assistance for the Skeleton code he provided and
his continued support of 10/100 Linux drivers (including 3Com products!).

The driver 3Com is releasing is a Beta development driver that has gone through
considerable testing, but we will continue to have bug fixes and testing before
this is fully released.  We have tested this with the Redhat version 5.2 and
Redhat 6.0 with kernel 2.2.5.  Our goal is to continue testing with more
distributions and the latest kernel versions for the full release.

We appreciate any comments or bug reports.  Please send email to:
     linux_drivers@3com.com

The 3Com driver can be downloaded from:
     http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linux.htm

For more information on 3Com NIC products, please see:
     http://www.3com.com/products/nics.html

We hope this will provide a great networking experience while using Linux and
3Com NIC products.
Thanks for your support with 3Com products!

John H. Harrison, V
3Com Corporation, Inc.
Software Architecture Marketing, Product Line Manager
john_h_harrison@3com.com