Bus-mastering problem???

Harold Oga ogah@telusplanet.net
Fri Oct 8 07:01:03 1999

On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 09:32:15AM +0100, Kevin Ford wrote:
>It finds an IRQ OK, and I can vouch for all the other parts of the system
>and have found their IRQ's in the /proc/interrupts file. It's a fairly old
>machine (two of the ISA ports have a local bus port!!!), I was wondering
>whether the motherboard could be a physical limitation on the bus-mastering
>capabilities of the card, or am I barking up totally the wrong tree? I
>managed to install the other card in my K6-2 without problems, and I've
>managed to swap them as well (I assume without problems, there are no error
>messages, and pinging from it 'lights the lights' on the 'lesser' box, but
>obviously I get no return). Both boxes can ping themselves. I've forced them
>in the EEPROM to run 100Mbps full-duplex.
Hi,
   Since you say it is an older motherboard, you might want to double
check that the slot you have the vortex card in is actually a bus-mastering
slot.  I know some older motherboards did not support bus-mastering on all
the slots, so try moving the vortex card to another slot, preferably slot
2 or 3, and see if that makes a difference.

-Harold
--
I. Harold Oga                                   | Email: ogah@telusplanet.net
Systems Enterprises Ltd.                        | Voice: (403) 244 9738
#211, 1624 16th Ave SW                          |
Calgary, AB, T3C 1A1                            | "Life Sucks, Deal with it!!"