Lockup Linux 2.0.37ac8 with 3C905B (Cyclone)

Leos Bitto leos.bitto@netbeans.com
Wed Mar 24 08:51:24 1999

Hello,

I am pretty sure that i486DX33 cannot handle the full bandwith of 100 Mbps
ethernet.
When you put the NIC to promiscous mode, every ethernet frame on the wire
invokes
IRQ, and your slow CPU cannot handle all of them. This means that your
statistics
would be inaccurate, even if you machine wouldn't crash. I agree that it
shouldn't
crash - this is really a bug.

Leos

 -----Original Message (incomplete) -----